Sunday 18 May 2008

Should I send him nasty letters? Should I push him off his bike?

DAVID CRONENBERG’S WIFE – MY BEST FRIEND’S GOING OUT WITH A GIRL I LIKE

I spotted this 7” single in the weekly mailout of my regular mail order company and, without knowing anything about David Cronenberg’s Wife, I had to order it simply because it has the best band name and song title of the year. Thankfully the music lives up to the promise of the title. The song starts with some great surf guitar, then the singer comes in, sounding like Lou Reed, or 90s favourites The Flaming Stars, or… something else. This is really bugging me as the drawling vocals remind me of a 90s band (possibly even a specific song) and I can’t work out what it is. If anyone has any idea which band I’m thinking of then please let me know.

It soon becomes apparent that the vocalist is a potential psychopath, as he ponders various methods of getting revenge on his former friend, before the song climaxes with a terrific garage rock racket, including what sounds like bottles being smashed.

I recommend getting hold of this single if you can find it, but it is quite limited. In case you can’t find a copy, here is the video, which manages to be funny and slightly disturbing at the same time:

3 comments:

Biluś said...

Only 'slightly' disturbing - this is one sicko vid! It is pretty funny, though - and I'm sure that's a Gaye Advert reference toward the end.

Bvrlyjn said...

I haven't sorted out what I think of this yet.

I like the video though. I mean, if you're going to make a video of this song which I haven't decided if I like they've done it well.

The vocalist reminds me of Suicide but maybe that's just me...

I'm so tired. I hope this made sense.

Steve said...

Yes, I think that makes sense.

I hadn't spotted the Suicide thing, even though I'd been listening to Alan Vega's solo stuff last week, but I see what you mean. I think it's because they both sing in a kind of 1950s style.